Tuesday, November 01, 2005

 

Beer Dinner with Garrett Oliver

Last Wednesday I had the opportunity to attend a beer dinner hosted by Garrett Oliver at the Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown, PA. This is my first visit to the brewery and was thrown off by industrial look of the joined brewery and restaurant. The Victory restaurant generally would have blended with the uniform flat off-white buildings had it not been for a bold green mural of the company’s hop-devil mascot conspicuously poised above a set of doors. People entering the building in business dress further confirmed my suspicion that this was indeed the restaurant entrance.
The restaurant is rather spacious and well lit, but lacks sound proofing. I expected the dinner to take place in a separate room, however it was held in a partitioned set of tables in the open dining area. The tables seated six on each side and I selected the far end of one of the less populated tables as I came independently. My isolation quickly changed when a few affable people joined the table. Beer does, indeed, make friends.
Garrett Oliver is the head brewer of Brooklyn Brewery and was on hand for a book signing of The Brewmaster’s Table which covers the principles of pairing beer with food. He’s had the privilege of visiting breweries around the world. Scandinavia, he reports, is undergoing a rise in home brewing akin to the upsurge we saw in America in the late 80s and early 90s. A snail pin on his jacket indicated support of the Slow Food movement. His presentation lasted only a few minutes. I had anticipated a bit more of a talk.
At the conclusion of the appetizer portion of the dinner he took a seat at a table behind me. It provided a good opportunity to take a seat and ask him a few questions. One of the most common problems home brewers face is oxidation. Oxygen in the neck of the bottle will eventually lead to an off sherry-like flavor after six months to a year. Kegs don’t have the same problem as they are under pressure from carbon dioxide. So, I inquired how the Brooklyn Brewery avoids the problem. They bottle from a keg which will leave foam in the neck of the bottle. Capping as the foam reaches the top of the bottle locks out oxygen. I’ll try this technique when I brew a batch I expect to cellar for more than half a year.
At the conclusion of the meal I was sure to get a signed copy of The Brewmaster’s Table. The beer and food were well worth the $50 charge for the event. Meeting a few new friends, Garret Oliver, and obtaining his signature topped off the evening.

Till next time,
- John

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?